Water System Operator (Distribution)
August 31, 2022
Position Title: Water System Operator (Distribution)
Full-time, FLSA Non-Exempt (hourly) position
$20 - $25 per hour
Some limited travel, primarily for training may be required.
The Water System Maintenance Operator, under general direction of the Distribution Supervisor performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks involved in maintenance, construction, and repairs of the water system, storage facilities, and grounds. The Water System Maintenance Operator also works closely with contractors to respond to inquiries and provides oversight to construction activities performed within the District. The Water System Maintenance Operator also responds to inquiries from customers on water related issues such as leaks, water outages, line repairs, etc.
Requires a broad range of duties and skills for the daily maintenance and operation of the public water supply system including: general construction skills, pipe and valve installation, a mechanical aptitude, record keeping and manual labor. Requires strong customer services skills and excellent judgment. The ability to work with diverse groups including professional staff, contractors and customers is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees installation, repair, replacement, relocation and maintenance of water mains.
- Assists in service line repair and relocation, meter pit adjustments and relocating meters.
- Assists in making water main taps and tie-ins and in job site clean-up and restoration work.
- Assists in maintaining truck inventory and in servicing, repair or replacement of equipment and tools assigned to truck.
- Keeps trucks and equipment clean and well organized.
- Reads and interprets Water District maps. Uses GIS mapping system and PC. Quickly adapts and takes responsibility for learning new technologies used by the District.
- Locates and records ties on new and existing valves, hydrants, fittings and pipes, manually and using GPS equipment.
- Marks location of existing distribution mains, services and transmission mains for contractors, cities and other excavators to avoid damages to the Distribution System.
- Performs grounds and facility maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairs.
- Obtains water samples for bacteriological testing as needed.
- Responds to emergency alarms and calls as required.
- Responsible for ensuring minimum safety standards are adhered to in all aspects of the District’s operations.
- Provide respectful, professional, positive service in all interactions between co-workers and internal and external customers.
- Performs other related duties and assists other employees as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma and/or GED is required; Minimum 1 year experience in operation and/or maintenance of water facilities and equipment, semi-skilled maintenance or construction, and/or operation of equipment, electronic or mechanical, similar to that of the assignment or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, ability and skills.
- Continuing education is expected and required.
- Valid Driver’s license with good and insurable driving record (required);
- KDHE Class I Water Operator’s License or the ability to attain one within one year of eligibility as defined by KDHE is required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Good knowledge of the operations, maintenance, adaptability and limitations of the equipment used. Ability to make minor repairs of equipment used in the field. Ability to follow oral or written instructions. Ability to perform physical labor in varied climatic and work situations. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with superiors, other employees and the general public contacted in the course of the work.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $20.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- On call
Applications are available at the office or email resume to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.